[Qgis-psc] QGIS Plugin website application maintenance

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Mar 12 10:30:59 PDT 2019

Hi

> On 12 Mar 2019, at 14:58, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
>
> On 12/03/2019 11.14, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi Ale
>>
>> Ale I am also hugely appreciative of the work you have done. I think
>> Kartoza can offer to take over maintenance. I will one one of my staff
>> members to make it their pet open source project. We can also manage the
>> server that it is deployed on and the deployments, backups etc. since I
>> have been mostly involved with that these 8 years anyway.
>
> [resending as I used wrong email to sent]
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for this offer!
>
> But it would move the 'burden' from Ale to you :-(

Well I was going to ‘volunteer’ one of our team to do it :-)

> I believe in shared responsibility, that is: I'd be more happy to have a
> simple application with less features who can be
> build/maintained/developed by more people, then... the opposite of that.

> As humans we tend to like 'features' :-)  giving rise to complexity that
> is then only understood by a small group of people. I hope that we could
> try to simplify AND compartmentize (?) our application/infra used, so
> they can be understood/developed separately.

Yeah I didn’t have any particular plans to add features to it, just to maintain it as needed to remove the burden from Ale. We have many good Django developers in our team and I think they might enjoy doing it.

> As an example: the current sponsor app and certification app are both
> within 1 django app spread over 6(?) containers all needed off course
> because we want many features, but make it pretty difficult to people
> outside the original development group to enter (I speak from own
> experience here: small tweaks I did in the sponsor app cost me (as
> 'average' tech guy) more time to get the machinery up and running then
> do the actual work (while if you are into this setting up (like you)
> this would actually make it EASIER..)..

> So I hope that more people will step up to help (and understand), and
> would be in favour of splitting current Django apps in smaller
> individual ones, so for example people interested in certification can
> try to get help for THEIR app from within their community instead of
> should ask to the small dev group of the big app.
>
> But again: thanks for your offer, and do not take this as critisism of
> our current infrastructure projects! I just try to channel forward the
> questions I got from all kind of people during the hackfest.

Ok this is too much for me to unpack right now - I am in the last throws of packing up our house - getting on the plane to Portugal tomorrow. After I arrive, lets have a chat on zoom or whatever and I will try to address your points in that call.