[Qgis-psc] Ads in plugins -- allowed?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Mar 15 01:21:25 PDT 2019

On 15/03/2019 09.10, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>

>> So yes, even get rid of the current commercial support page, because now
>> a small group of people decides if you are 'core committer' enough to be
>> there. It's 'smelly' if a selected "have's" decide over "don't have's".
>>
>> If we just do not have this page, we do not have to discuss this.
>
> You want to remove the whole page? It is a regular ’selling’ point I use
> when doing talks about QGIS : there is a rich ecosystem of support
> providers you can choose from so you don’t need to worry about vendor
> lock in, and you can easily find a provider by going to that page. Why
> not just keep it and remove the categories if the categories are the issue.

Well, yes that is the other option I proposed: let every QGIS
(service)-selling company be able to advertize there.

Still there is the somebody needed to decide if it is a true QGIS
company, or just the 'link'-space they need (like we have for
donorships: very weird companies ask us to be donor, just because they
want their site to be linked back by QGIS.org: apparently it's worth 500
euro to have a slightly higher ranking in Google). But I'm ok with both
if that is what others in the community prefer.

Regards,

Richard