[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 07:39:05 PDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 3:26 PM Peter Petrik <
peter.petrik at lutraconsulting.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear PSC,
>
> We have published a QEP [1] as follow up of our discussions in A Coruña
> and mailing-list [2] about the topic of transfer of qgis-mac-packager MacOS
> packaging system to QGIS.org
>
> Envisioned solution offers CI (travis) that builds the package on every
> commit and therefore could be managed similarly to every other QGIS
> development. It is not dependent on any external Mac Server and will very
> likely to be more convenient for other people from QGIS community to
> contribute. Denis Rouzaud can join the initiative and work on CI
> integration part if this motion go forwards. We estimate the effort at 20
> days. Considering the incertitude regarding the CI part, we add a security
> margin of 5 days which will invoiced only if used.
>
> We tried to crowdfund the first part of transition, but we managed to
> receive just about 50% of the desired amount. Therefore we do not see much
> potential to try again crowdfunding. We will continue to support and
> release the unofficial Lutra package until October 2019.
>
> If PSC see some ways forward with this motion, Lutra Consulting will be
> more than happy to implement the proposed solution together with OPENGIS.ch.
>
> We appreciate to have the discussion to the point(s) raised in this email
> and related to this QEP.
>
> Peter, Saber and Denis
> [1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/143
> [2]
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-for-Mac-OS-packaging-and-infrastructure-td5387752.html

Ok I know this may sound heretic (please don't send me to the stake or my
kids will starve), but did you consider selling the Mac packages for a
small fee?

I mean it's absolutely fair that you require a compensation for all you
hard work on the Mac stuff, you well deserve it, but I'm not sure this
should be on the general QGIS.org budget.

The rationale is that the we all know the reasons why developing on Mac is
so expensive (well, Mac is so expensive in general) and I think that Mac
users should pay for the most of it, not all the users.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it