[Qgis-psc] Reworking the "commercial support" page?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Mar 26 23:18:25 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall, all,
thank you very much for raising this point. We have been discussing
about it during the recent HF, and we did not find a conclusive
solution. My comments below.

On 27/03/19 03:49, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> 1. it's hard for readers to find organisations offering the services
> they want. They have to read over all the text from all organisations
> to do this.
> 2. for most readers, the distinction between core/contributors/other
> is an arbitrary categorization
>
> I think this page could be better served by moving to a table of
> services. So something like
>
> Organisation | Country | Software Support | Training | Feature
> Development | Bug Fixes | Plugin Development | Consulting Services |
> .... etc
>
> Core contributors would get a special star icon and appear bold, and
> project sponsors would also get a bronze/silver/etc badge.
>
> Clicking an organisations name in the table could take the reader to
> their full blurb which appears after the table (much like the current
> site).
>
> Thoughts?

I agree with your proposal, with the following caveats:
* I would ask every year to each company to confirm their status 9we
already agreed on this some times ago, obviously your proposal increases
slightly the amount of work necessary for maintenance)
* I would keep core contributors to the top: I think they deserve it
* I would not mention sponsorship here: sponsors already have visibility
elsewhere, and this is quite different from providing services;
including it could lead to paradoxical situation, like a company being
paid to implement something, then donating back to the project as
sponsorship, and getting a mark, whereas another company donating their
time for an analogous task, and not getting a mark.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: