[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Now Offering QGIS Support

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Mar 27 23:46:39 PDT 2019

Hi,

I just got a very similar request about being added to the commercial
support providers, from a german company I never heard about.

I guess we will get more such requests over time.

I don't know what to reply and would like to get some guidance, in order to
treat such requests equally.

Personally, I think, it would be good to list such companies. There is
still this notion that there is a lack of support companies (at least in
some regions or countries) for QGIS. If we could point to such a list where
in every country there are some support providers, such false claims (lack
of support) can be countered.

However, I agree with all of you, that there should be a clear distinction
to what a company does for QGIS (core contributor, contributor, sustaining
member, etc.) For the last one, we already have a list.

Should we tell companies who want to be added to QGIS, that we want to have
some sort of contribution to the project first? E.g. contributing to the
project (coding, translating, documentation, etc.) or becoming a sustaining
member before we would list them?

It would also feel strange, to list companies that no-one in the community
knows - who knows what their expertise around QGIS really is?

The whole discussion is a bit similar to the discussion about training
certificates. We need some sort of reviewing process, before we add such a
company to our list of commercial support providers. Or at least get the
recommendation from a local QGIS user group.

Thoughts?

Greetings,
Andreas

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 22:36, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>