[Qgis-psc] Thoughts

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 09:44:28 PDT 2019

Hi,

Thanks Paolo for raising this topic, that somehow was underlying in some
other discussions. And thanks to make me discover the Debian Contract;
while the rules seem self-evident to me today, i guess it was good for them
to have expressed it (though I don't think we have the same "issue") .

Régis, maybe did I misread you (though I read your message more than once)
but am I wrong that the "community" you envision is all about people or
companies that can pay or get paid for a feature/fix?

I always (maybe naively) thought that QGIS was part of a bigger picture, a
way to contribute to a better and more equitable world. Coming from
"South", I know what this kind of tools can change. And Yes, this is what I
use to reply to friends and family that wonder why I was spending nights
and week-ends on things I'm not paid for nor are at the core of my daily
work. Now, if I'm wrong and this is not (or no longer) the case, and that
we no longer have users but customers indeed it'd be good to know (*Errare
humanum est, perseverare diabolicum*). I could then look for a company that
cares about QGIS-Documentation (to mention an area I know) and then I'd be
able to invoice (partially, I swear!) my contributions to payers. That
said, not many of the companies involved in QGIS development have been
writing docs these last years afaics.
Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with the idea that QGIS is (part of) livelihood
for some and I appreciate many of the features that arose thanks to these
contracts but... if it should be all about that, If we don't have a bigger
picture of what QGIS is, what our community is or needs to be...

my (dreamer) 2cts,
Harrissou