[Qgis-psc] Thoughts

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Mar 31 11:17:49 PDT 2019

On 31/03/2019 10.49, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> paid!). There's also one motivation which makes me nervous, and that's
> contributing for the desire for kudos or personal validation. I think
> that contributing for the goal of receiving recognition or acclaim is
> linked to an unhealthy feeling of "ownership" over contributions.
> That's a dangerous path -- because it's the nature of our game that
> every line of code (or other stuff) contributed to the project will
> eventually be ripped up and replaced by someone else in future! If we
> become too attached to individual contributions we've personally made,
> then it can be incredibly hurtful when this happens to those
> contributions.

> So, personally, I'd like to see us all take a step back whenever we
> are taking too much ownership on individual contributions and instead
> seek motivation and gratification at the quality of the end product,
> and take ownership and pride in QGIS as a whole (both the software and
> the community) instead.
>
> Because boy, this whole community has a lot to be f***ing proud of! ;)
@Nyall, you mean *'hugging' proud of*  :-)
(see Linux Kernel discussions [0])

Thanks both Paolo and Nyall for your thoughts.

The 'community', both developers, and users and volunteers need each
other to keep being a nice community. We all should respect each others
actions, goals, values and reasons to contribute. But also try to keep
the community together as a whole. Volunteers/users profit from the paid
developers work, the other way around the paid developers profit (and
CAN make money) with all the work done by earlier contributors.

But I think we need to address the fact that we started as a 100%
volunteer organisation and now move to a (volunteer) organisation 'with
money'.... In my vision we (as QGIS community) should NOT try to
work/think like an enterprise. It is not clear to me how to mix these
two though, but maybe I'm old fashioned.

"Step back" could be ok, but I'm with Paolo that we have to do
something, else I am afraid the 'volunteers' will stop doing their thing.

We could try to write down some kind of vision/values/whatever where all
of us try to adhere to? It should be short and clear, so whenever
tensions arises, it can be used to discuss?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

PS not sure what/who you have in mind with "the desire for kudos or
personal validation" but I think it as confronting as saying "people
introducing bugs to get paid to fix them". Let's respect each others
reasons to contribute, even if it is to get kudos.

[0] https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Kernel-Hugs