[Qgis-psc] Github sponsorship

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri May 24 00:50:33 PDT 2019

Hi Vincent,

On 24/05/19 09:43, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:

> On 24/05/2019 09:25, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Thanks Richard for the analysis. I think it is worth exploring ways to
>> do it properly. I agree that sponsoring individual developers is not the
>> best way for us, but it could be useful nevertheless, taking the fist 4
>> committers.
>
> I tend to disagree here. 4 developers to be paid on behalf of the rest
> of the community really seems unfair. QGIS.org choosing these developers
> put the association in a risky situation.
> Basing this on the amount of commit also is a mistake according to me.
> It is definitely not a good indicator of value, neither amount of work.
> And how do you count ? Which repositories ? How do you include
> documentation, infrastructure, testing, bug triaging ?
> Using the amount of commits as our principal measurement of contribution
> is wrong on many level, as it conveys the message "developers are the
> most valuable persons on a project", which is against our search for
> diversity and the importance of other kind of contributions.

I do not see a big problem here: these are additional resources, we have
funds to equalize them, compensating other devs fairly with our own
funds matching the ones from GH.

> Getting involved with GitHub to allow organizations to participate in
> this sponsorship program would be interesting.

sure, this is the best route. I'm just suggesting to take this
opportunity, and push to go towards organization funding.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: