[Qgis-psc] [QGIS-Developer] Direct push forbidden to master

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Nov 8 03:14:18 PST 2019

Hi Denis,

On Fri, 08. Nov 2019 at 09:19:11 +0100, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> > > We have had the direct push forbidden to master for a bit of time and it
> > > proved to be useful.

> > When did we vote on this?

> That is basically the goal of my initial mail, to know if and how we can
> take a decision on this.

If I have a veto, then I already put it out.

Including windows in the CI and making it required to complete before merging
will make it even more painful than waiting for what we currently have for each
small commit - and it already gets more lengthy the more tests are added.

And it will also require to fix all the tests that never have worked on windows
(see cdash for the last 10 years or something - the nightlies run the tests -
kind of the reason I started with them - packages used to be a side effect -
the tests also don't work completely on at least some non-travis platforms -
but as it's non-travis nobody seem to care - but it doesn't seem to actually
point to actual problems in the application - just to things in the tests
themselves.

I don't see a big problem with having the CI broken for a short time.  It's
master.  And I think all the merge commits make a worse impression - esp. if
they are not squashed, than a temporary failing CI - and the former sticks in
the repository (as does a follow up commit for a breaking commit now an then).

I believe we are spend more time with the CI to prevent bugs than it ever could
take to fix them.

Anyway, odd that there were still includes missing - my local windows build
finally finished with the change (including building server, tests - also
including the oracle provider - which also was broken a number of times by
commits that went through the CI), but I didn't do clean a rebuild - because
then I would have missed the nightly build window (the builds are still
underway BTW).

But fortunately this time the nightly doesn't have to replace a working build
that is crashing on start.  Although that was quickly fixes, it was followed up
other build breaking changes so that that crashing package wasn't quickly
replaces (all that by commits that actually went through the CI).

So I'm split - theoretically CI and tests are fine - practically they take up a
lot of time to make, maintain and run - maybe more then they are worse - the
sometimes (often?) breaks (unrelated to the actual commits) and breaking direct
commits are also an edge case and not the rule.  But save a lot of time - and
also prevent people from making parallel PRs on the same issue.

If I a build fails, I pull and if the problem is still there I fix it.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode