[Qgis-psc] Work on PyQGIS docs

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Oct 16 03:09:31 PDT 2019

Hi Denis,

Thanks a lot for your work.

I will put something in next years budget for maintenance/development of
PyQGIS docs. I agree that this work is important and useful to our devs and
users. If I forget about this in next year's budget, please remind me.

Budget will be up to discussion next year anyway.

Thanks,
Andreas

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 at 09:40, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear PSC,
>
> I have spent the 3 days on improving the PyQGIS docs.
> Here is what has been done:
>
> * refactoring of the build scripts (much clearer now)
> * updating the forked theme (to support versioning) with upstream
> * added processing to the documentation (still some work to be done here)
> * remove empty sections (enum, signal, attributes) in pages
> https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis/pull/40
> * add return types and param rtype (and links within the API docs)
> https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis/pull/41
>
> The last one was a tricky one. We currently cannot use existing tools
> (like sphinx-auto-typehints) since SIP does not fill the __annotations__
> dictionary. Maybe another reason to look towards Qt for Python. Anyway, I
> added custom event handler around autodoc to manually process the docstring.
>
> I believe this was a good shot for the docs, and I guess we would benefit
> from having such maintenance and small improvements sponsored work each
> year. Of course, I'm blowing my own horn, and I'd like to propose my
> application for next year.
>
> Thanks for your confidence.
> Denis

Andreas Neumann