[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mobile (Android)

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Oct 16 03:19:58 PDT 2019

Hello,

On 15/10/2019 17:10, Saber Razmjooei wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> What should we exactly join up to? :)
>
> Current QGIS code repository offers the platform to collaborate. Here
> are some of the example of our recent works to make QGIS touch library
> (on the back of great work from OpenGIS) and static providers:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/109
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/149
>
> Additionally, we extended the SDK to support compilation of QGIS on iOS.

As far as I know, and under the disclaimer "not a lawyer", GPLv2+
applications are not allowed on the app store.

There are many levels of decisions required here :
A/ do we want to distribute our software on a platform which is clearly
hostile to the licence we use ? GPL hostility from Apple is something
which can not be denied.
B/ if so, is the distribution of a GPLv2+ software on the app store even
legal ? This is not as clear as it could
C/ if B has not be verified and stated as valid, is QGIS.org and the
QGIS project ready to take a legal risk, officially endorsing a GPL
application distributed on the app store ?

In our current knowledge, I would strongly be against QGIS.org and the
QGIS project supporting officially the iOS version of any software based
on QGIS. The legal risk is too high.

Should a study by an IP lawyer be made and published, that could ease a
decision. But I guess the cost would be quite high. If it validates
point B, then we would still have point A to evaluate.

> I had raised 2 questions in my initial email and would be interested to
> see how those scenarios would be handled if QField becomes the official
> QGIS mobile (Android) app?

Saber, as for question 2, I would personally be in favor of a plugin
system to access the mergin freemium service, for QField (or any app
endorsed by the QGIS project), instead of a core pull request. It would
also ease the maintenance.
If this system is optional in the installation, I have no argument
against having an official QGIS project application support it.
Especially if opensource alternatives exist.

Best regards,

Vincent