[Qgis-psc] QGIS licence (was: QGIS on iOS was QGIS for Mobile (Android))

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Oct 17 02:30:06 PDT 2019

Hi Peter,

Interesting. Can you explain a bit more what you have in mind with a dual
licensing approach?

- Satisfy requirements of different platforms or app stores (like the iOS
case)?
- Monetize on the sale of commercial licenses of QGIS as a development
platform like qt does - to allow commercial companies to use QGIS in their
own product at their own license terms ?

In the latter case, it would be a bit a can of worms. How would such income
be distributed between the project and the core developes of QGIS who run
their own companies?

I am not sure what it means to introduce dual licensing, but most likely,
like with a change of license, we would also need the approval of every
single contributor to QGIS - or strip away their code contributions. But
again, this is also just an assumption.

Andreas