[Qgis-psc] QGIS licence (was: QGIS on iOS was QGIS for Mobile (Android))

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Oct 17 02:48:19 PDT 2019

Hi Peter,

Yes, that first idea of dual licensing for iOS app store seems more easy to
solve than the second approach.

FYI: it seems like article 6 in the GPLv2 is the problem with Apple App
store, which states: "You may not impose any further restrictions on the
recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein." In GPLv3 it is article
10: "You may not impose any further restrictions on the exercise of the
rights granted or affirmed under this License. For example, you may not
impose a license fee, royalty, or other charge for exercise of rights
granted under this License, and you may not initiate litigation (including
a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that any patent claim
is infringed by making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing the
Program or any portion of it."

See also this interestsing thread - which is a bit newer than other
statements from 2011: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/18922

Andreas