[Qgis-psc] QGIS licence (was: QGIS on iOS was QGIS for Mobile (Android))

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Oct 17 03:30:07 PDT 2019

Hi all,

On 17/10/19 12:04, Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Let me share my thoughts...
>
> - re Ars Technica article - I agree with Andreas we are in different
> position, having a great community project with no single company
> owning it. Anyway the article is a good reminder of possible threats
> that FOSS projects might face (there's also an interesting FOSDEM
> keynote [1] about that). Even though right now it concerns mostly
> server-side software, I can see also a possibility that in future
> people would be buying cheap computers with closed operating systems
> that would only run cloud-hosted desktop apps - and people would have
> to pay for running the apps even though the apps were open source
> licensed.

the general issue is well known, and the first rationale pushing towards
the creation of GPL3. In fact, already several years ago, most
prominently during the Valmiera HF, there were talks of changing from
GPL2 to GPL3 for this reason (the famous Affero clause). At tha time, it
was mostly a company that opposed the move.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: