[Qgis-psc] News feed

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Oct 31 14:15:08 PDT 2019

Well - we are not exactly flooding people with entries. We started with
zero entries, and now there are two. The one controversial one will soon
disappear anyway.

For me it is exactly the contrary. If I don't see any entries, I get the
impression that this community is not really active. If users see a
local event in the feed in region xx, it might encourage them to
organize a similar event in their own region - don't you think? Even if
there is a local event every week, this wouldn't be "flooding" our
users. It would just show that there is some nice activity.

I get the point though from Richard, that filtering content
automagically (like social media does), based on (GEO)-IP address or
languages is not desirable for everyone. If we can ask the users about
their region or language of interest it would perhaps be useful. And I
agree that "geofence" is an ugly term. Sounds like military/security. We
could rather call it "region of interest". Sounds much nicer.

I would also give people the option to see all entries - and maybe even
make this the default.

Andreas