[Qgis-psc] AGM: plugins vote

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Apr 8 07:24:50 PDT 2020

Hi all,
give the long list of modifications in the ticket
https://github.com/qgis/PSC/issues/1
I think it is better to give the question a last check.
I'd appreciate if you could check if there is some mistake.
Thanks.
===
Current situation: only plugins which are multiplatform, free of
binaries are allowed in official repository; plugins can fetch binaries
post installation

# Vote 1: Plugins are allowed to be platform specific

Arguments against:
The aim of QGIS.org is to freely empower all users; platform specific
plugins limit functionalities to a subset of users. Given that the
majority of users use Windows, it is quite likely that a number of
Windows-only plugins will appear, thus putting users of free software at
a disadvantage. Furthermore, clean coding is usually multiplatform.

Arguments in favour:
QGIS.org wants to give users the freedom to use QGIS the way they want
and to share what they did. By allowing users to share plugins even if
they are platform specific, these can be used by others on the same
platform. Everyone else has the possibility to take these plugins and
adapt them for more platforms. By allowing plugins to be platform
specific we also open up the possibility to ship plugins which give
access to specific tools like the touch bar, a hardware piece that is
only available on mac.
---
# Vote 2: Plugins are allowed to include FOSS binaries or libraries

Arguments against:
Distributing binaries along with plugins does not allow us to examine
the code, and is a serious security risk. FOSS binaries can be checked,
but this is extra work to which we should allocate resources.
Having in the system many different copies of the same libraries may
create problems, and encourages ad hoc patches that are not merged upstream.

Arguments in favour:
Many of the tools we use in everyday life are delivered in binary
format. QGIS, Python, the operating system and much more are installed
from binary packages on most systems. This allows everyone out there to
benefit from these applications and libraries without using a compiler.
---
# Vote 3: "Plugins are allowed to include proprietary binaries" and
"Plugins should not be allowed to fetch (proprietary?) binaries post
installation"

Arguments against:
Distributing binaries along with plugins does not allow us to examine
the code, and is a serious security risk.
Fetching post install give the responsibility of the installation to the
user, who can autonomously evaluate security risks.

Arguments in favour:
Plugins are a way to integrate QGIS with custom business logic, external
applications and hardware. Some tools are not open source. We want to
empower QGIS users to integrate QGIS in the most flexible way possible
with the best tools for their workflow. This already applies for data
providers, where we integrate with MrSID, Oracle, ECW, Excel files and
other proprietary formats and databases.
Every plugin is required to comply with licensing requirements and
inform the user about their rights and duties, this applies for
proprietary as well as open source plugins.
---
General
Arguments against:
The status quo committee believes the current situation worked well for
years, and plugins are a huge success for QGIS. Changing it will not
bring substantial advantages, and may cause issues especially for users
of free operating systems.

Arguments in favour:
The pro committee wants to give users the freedom to use QGIS, their
information and their computers the way they want. We are convinced that
open source has a very strong backup in the QGIS community and that we
can better encourage developers and users to foster open source by
leaving them the freedom rather than putting restrictions in place.
We are convinced that it is the right thing to give developers the
possibility to share their work, to transparently communicate to a user
what's inside their plugins and to give each individual user the power
to decide what's appropriate for him.
--
Paolo Cavallini
QGIS.ORG Chair