[Qgis-psc] AGM: plugins vote

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 23:47:56 PDT 2020

Hi,

Sorry, but I didn't understand what's the real issue here: the
no-binary policy was enforced on the official plugins repo in order
to:
- make sure we don't have to host huge plugins to store/upload and download
- make sure we can inspect what's inside a plugin (for years we
discussed about doing more automatic validation on the python code
looking for malicious code)

There are actually a really simple workaround for whoever wanted to
distribute plugins with binaries, viruses, windows95 DLLs etc.:

- 1 download and install your forbidden binaries directly from your
plugin right after your plugin is installed

Or, a slightly more complicated solution:

- 1 make your own repo (it's trivial, believe me, there are ton of
recipes with dockers, python implementations, simple scripts etc.)
- 2 make a legitimate plugin that
   - 2.1 add your repo to the QGIS list of repos
   - 2.2 installs the forbidden plugin which contains your binaries
- 3 upload the legitimate plugin on the official repo
- 4 profit!

Cheers

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 7:37 AM Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> Hi Alessandro,
>
> Thank you for jumping in and also for including https://plugins.qgis.org/publish/ in the discussion.
>
> For clarity: currently "no binaries" is listed as a requirement while "cross platform" is a recommendation.
>
> Regards
> Matthias
>
> On 4/8/20 6:01 PM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>
> The no-binary policy in the official repository has been enforced and listed since day 1 , see https://plugins.qgis.org/publish/
>
> I'm not sure if the other rule about cross-platform has been written down somewhere, I've always taken that one for granted.
>
> I see no problems if a plug-in does its post-installation downloads though.
>
> Just my two cents.
>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020, 17:44 Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Paolo
>>
>> On 4/8/20 4:55 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> > Hi Matthias,

>> > the current situation is not unclear. I think it is fair to give a
>> > minimal context, describing how things are running since many years;
>> > "current situation" sounds very neutral to me.
>> > Maybe someone can suggest a more neutral wording?
>> I still think this was mostly a vision of individuals and not a general
>> perception of how it is/should be handled. I was *very* surprised to
>> hear that this is the current situation and I think it was and is
>> unclear to others too. I also wouldn't be surprised to find a couple of
>> binary wheels and plugins which are not cross-platform - but nobody ever
>> noticed - in the repository.
>> > I though about the name to give to the "non-pro" committee. I avoided
>> > "against committee", because it sounds ugly to me, and gives a negative
>> > impression.
>> > Perhaps we can skip the problem just replacing "* committee" with "We"?
>> > Thanks for the suggestion.
>> > Cheers.
>>
>> I'm fine with dumping the term "pro committee" formulation. But that's
>> not the point.
>>
>> My main point is that "the status quo" as listed is not as clear to
>> everyone as described in the text. Or is it really that clear to
>> everyone? I would love to hear some other opinions of community
>> representatives and PSC members on this.
>>
>> Matthias

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it