[Qgis-psc] Position on Qt wrt The QT Company announcements

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Apr 10 05:40:07 PDT 2020

Hi Andreas,

Il 10/04/20 12:49, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:

> I am afraid that the contacts between KDAB and myself are mainly of
> administrative nature. I don't know any influential persons there and I
> doubt that the accountant would help us much in this respect. I also
> vaguely know a "Business Development Manager" there, named Michael
> Freer. He might be a useful contact. But again: KDAB is not the culprit
> here. They are probably also "victims" like us, but likely with a closer
> involvement with QT and the QT Company than us.

Yes, that's why I suggested trying to contact them. We should be
basically in the same boat, it would be good to agree on a common course
of actions.

> However, before starting to send out uncoordinated e-mails here and
> there, I'd prefer if the PSC, together with selected core developers who
> know something about the issue take the time to work on a collaborative
> document where we cite statements from the QT company that are of
> concern to us and summarize a statement from us including ideas how to
> solve the conflict.

I understand your point. However, I believe things are still muddy, and
I'd like to have more flesh before discussing further.

> Can we schedule an extraordinary PSC meeting with invited other experts
> for this next week?

I'm available for it.

Cheers.

> Am 10.04.20 um 11:29 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:
>> Hi all,
>> thanks for the extensive and well documented feedback.
>> So apparently we agree this is time to act. I'd suggest to:
>> * first write/call privately to our contacts in major players (Andreas >
>> KDAB, Nyall > KDE^, etc.; of course I'm available in case there is a
>> need for an "official" talk with representatives) to check what are
>> their plans, and what are the opportunities for coordinating the efforts
>> * once the situation is more clear, write an official QGIS.ORG
>> statement, possibly as a blog post; Nyall seems the most documented, so
>> I'd ask him to take the lead on this; of course I'm available to do my
>> part.
>> How does it sound?
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Il 10/04/20 09:41, Vincent Picavet (ml) ha scritto:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On 09/04/2020 22:39, Even Rouault wrote:
>>> [..]
>>> +1 to this too

>>> Thanks for raising this point, this would indeed be something to look at
>>> carefully. I agree in case of a fork, the governance model would be
>>> transformed,
>>> and I hope the new organization and related awaited transparency
>>> would make the
>>> financing choice easy to do.
>>>
>>> But we are not there yet.
>>>
>>> I also agree with Nyall that technically, impacts on QGIS would not
>>> necessarily
>>> be big. Having a more open Qt project, with easier contributions and
>>> bugfixing
>>> could help QGIS though.
>>> But generally speaking QGIS, as a big and successful opensource
>>> project, now
>>> also has the responsibility to voice opinions and defend Opensource /
>>> libre
>>> software models of organization whenever they are at stake in its
>>> ecosystem.
>>>
>>> It seems like this is a good time to do it.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Vincent

Paolo Cavallini - QGIS.ORG Chair
www.faunalia.eu:
training, support, development on QGIS, PostGIS and more