[Qgis-psc] Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Feb 17 00:50:01 PST 2020

Hi

> On 17 Feb 2020, at 08:33, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>>

>> From a core developer perspective, I'd like to see almost only C++ code in the main repository and let the Python plugins be maintained by a broader community, which doesn't mean that Python plugins must be abandoned or are a less important than the rest, on the contrary, I'm very much in favor of having a few selected plugins maintained and administered by the largest possible QGIS community.
> +1
>
> There are also usability advantages of a C++ implementation of resource sharing will be that it can be much tighter integrated, for example allowing to download additional symbols directly from the symbol selector without closing modal windows and switching to a separate dialog where styles are managed.

Yeah this would be a big plus for me too - if the sharing platform is really going to be useful, it should be right there at the point where you need the resource. And with my dreamer hat on, we will also have a ’share this symbol’ button one day that lets you directly share any resource with a permissive ‘do what you like’ license to a central QGIS style platform, something like the noun icon project.