[Qgis-psc] Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Raymond Nijssen r.nijssen at terglobo.nl
Mon Feb 17 00:49:30 PST 2020

Hi all,

Moving existing python code into the QGIS main repo only means it will
be installed and available without downloading the plugin manager,
right? In my opinion that's not a big advantage.

What would be a nice improvement is that QGIS natively (c++) have a
resource interface. So you can use the API in plugins to add and remove
styles, templates, icons, imagery, color palettes, et cetera. Like you
can add processing algorithms by plugins as well now.

QGIS would put all these resources in a common place, and will always
find them when installed. So if you open your colleagues project, the
company logo in the layout will show up, although it lives somewhere in
your home directory.

In that way, everybody can make plugins and share resources easily,
without programming hacky things like string replacements in paths.

Would that be possible?

Kind regards,
Raymond