[Qgis-psc] Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 15:05:04 PST 2020

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 21:28, Håvard Tveite <havard.tveite at nmbu.no> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> One advantage of having it as a separate repository is that
> we can be more liberal when giving out commit rights to it.
>
> It would be OK for me to get commit rights for the plugin,
> but it would be scary to get commit rights for qgis/QGIS,
> knowing how much trouble one can cause by making simple
> mistakes... :-)

Agreed - and also important to note that doing development in
qgis/QGIS is MUCH MUCH slower and with a insanely vertical learning
curve. The rules for code integration in qgis/QGIS are very very
strict, the CI is extremely picky about code styling, spelling,
formatting, etc (all for good reason -- we SHOULD be extremely picky
about the code which lands in qgis/QGIS). There's a very large barrier
for entry for anyone to start contributing to qgis master code, which
would apply to the plugin as soon as it's moved into qgis/QGIS. It
would actually make development slower, put up more barriers for
entry, and will actively discourage community contributions...

Nyall