[Qgis-psc] Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Feb 20 03:30:52 PST 2020

Hi

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 4:18 PM Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Wed, 19. Feb 2020 at 10:40:37 +0000, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > What about if we ship QGIS ‘bare bones’ and on first run ask the user if
> they
> > would like to install our selection of highly recommended plugins (which
> are
> > basically what are in core or things like resource sharing)? That way we
> > could onramp people into using those whilst still keeping them separate?
> > Maybe in the plugin website we could just tag ‘endorsed’ plugins to
> defined
> > which get installed in this process?
>
> What about people that don't have network access?   Either because the are
> in
> developing countries or in enterprise environments that don't allow random
> downloads?
>
> I thought that was the main argument for standalone installers.

Yes I think there is still a strong argument for having standalone
installers - even when there is internet, it can often be slow and
downloading QGIS (or worse multiple users downloading it in a training
session) can often be difficult. The plugins should be able to be easily
shared as simple zip files for manual installation if they are needed
(assuming they are packaged as zip files for publishing in the plugin repo
anyway).

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden
> https://www.norbit.de
> QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development
* GIS Training
* Consulting Services