[Qgis-psc] Traveling to the 's-Hertogenbosch

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Jan 12 02:25:32 PST 2020

Hi Lene and Paolo,

thanks for your responses. I do understand that traveling by train adds extra hours. But you can work on trains. Better than on airports and airplanes. You can even watch your favourite movie or prepare for the QGIS contributor meeting on the train.

There are people in the world who have small kids - who want them to have a sustainable future. A planet worth living for.

We - the academic and geoscience people know very well about the many facets of the climate crisis. That our behaviour has direct effects on the earth at large. Yet we are not ready to add a couple of hours to make the world a slightly better place?

We Europeans just haven't been affected enough (yet) by the climate crisis. We didn't loose our house to  a raging fire, flooding or a storm. We don't have to live with 40-50 degrees celcius temperatures (luckily, but it will come in the coming summers - you can be sure about that) - but then we will have more climate refugees who want to survive in the moderate 40 degrees we then have in Europe). If we were more affected, like people in Australia, Africa, tropical countries. I bet you would think twice if you can't add a couple of hours for a train ride. Or a couple dollars for a hotel night.

I traveled twice from Switzerland to Nodebo by train. It wasn't that hard.

If we, as people who know best about the coming really uncomfortable negative effects that the climate crisis will have on our life are not willing to act. Who will?

It is NOW the time to act. Not in 2030 or 2040. Then it is too late. Sorry to be a pain in the ass here. But we need to be direct here.

Sorry, I don't care about your boss complaining. I am sure your university has a policy about protecting the environment. Sustainable travel is also part of that commitment.

Sorry for being personal here.

Andreas