[Qgis-psc] Voting for grants

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 01:00:48 PDT 2020

Hi all,

It's indeed an interesting discussion and I feel very well concerned…
I have been personally influenced by the corporate voting during last
session.

While I understand this concerns, I would remind that the voting member is
something personal and not tight to a company.
I have mixed feelings. As far as I can see, elected voting members have
proven real engagement towards QGIS project.

Again, voting rights are personal. But the money allowed money for grants
will generally go to the company rather than the individual. Thereby, I
would rather try to restrict the number of allowed grants per entity rather
than restricting the voting rights.

But we'll fall into the same point Matthias was mentionning earlier: what's
an entity. Some devs are more or less coupled, without being hold
literally in a company.

So, my order of preference of action would be
1: try to make voting members aware of the conflict of interest and trust
them
2: if needed, restrict per company

Now, looking at this year proposal, I am far more concerned about what we
propose to vote on rather than the voting process:

1. Many of the grants are features, while we call for a refactoring /
infrastructure round
2. Some are made by unknown people from the community, and I have mixed
feelings about this (openess vs rewarding of involvment)

I don't have a perfect solution to propose but I think we should maybe
re-think the process more globally. What is the goal of the grants
proposal?
* Is it to fund projects that are difficult to fund otherwise? But, then
shouldn't it be a kind of ongoing budget?
* Are we trying to attract devs?
* Are we trying to replace a crowd-funding operations for nice-to-have?

Best wishes,
Denis