[Qgis-psc] Efficiency, resilience and recent PSC decisions

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Jun 18 05:23:52 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Good to discuss this further. The PSC meeting minutes are clear: we are
talking about "core committers" here (people who have commit rights).
Otherwise it would have to read "core contributors" in the meeting minutes
and we would have to define what a "core contributor" is. As far as I
remember, there are 45 or so people who have direct commit rights, largely
(but not completely intersecting) with the "core contributors". At the time
of the discussion we had the impression that the pool of "core committers"
and "core contributors" is almost the same. I believe the Oslandia
employees are the exception here - with almost any other company interested
in contributing to paid bug fixing, their "core contributors" are almost
100% intersecting with "core committers".

But we certainly don't want to exclude developers who are capable and
willing to contribute to paid bug fixing. Here I see mainly two options:
- Oslandia should apply for more core committers
- PSC relaxes a bit the restriction of only accepting core committers.

In addition, PSC needs to clarify if it is acceptable that a person
contributes to paid bug fixing when they have another "core committer" at
hand (either within the same company, or external, if they have committed
other "core committer" reviewing their work).

The whole discussion also has to be seen in the light that we still have
very limited funds at hand. Thus we really need to get good value back for
the funds we spend. I have no doubt that all people who contributed so far
in paid bug fixing did their best (and more than they got paid for), but
with the QGIS grants we occasionally get submissions from people who
haven't interacted at all with the QGIS community before their grant
submission. I think it is fair to ask grant proposal submitters that they
should be part of the QGIS community at least for several months and shown
with some already existing contributions that they can deliver their work.

I am positive that we can reach a good consensus here, perhaps meet halfway
between what the PSC proposed and what Vincent suggests.

Greetings,
Andreas