[Qgis-psc] What about postpone the meeting (and LTR release) due to Corona Virus?

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Wed Mar 4 23:31:58 PST 2020

Hi Luigi, Dear PSC colleagues,

I think with such decisions we should listen to the recommendations of the
local governments where the meeting takes place. Raymond, as the local
organizer should investigate with the local government if they are ok with
the meeting taking place. As long as they are fine with the meeting, I
think we should also be fine. Of course, the normal recommended precautions
issued by them should be taken into account. And also each individual
participant has a responsibility - if they had contact with a person known
to have the virus, they should probably not participate at the meeting.

I would assume that many if not most participants already booked their
train tickets and hotels. As for myself, I also booked a non-refundable
rate, as this is cheaper. Without the local government issuing a meeting
ban, I think we wouldn't get any refunds. We should also take this into
account. Who will pay for such losses if we decide to cancel the meeting
without the government asking for it?

As an example: the german FOSSGIS conference, which should take place with
several hundred participants next week is also in contact with the local
government. They issued a warning at their website, that the conference
might be canceled, but as it stands now, it would take place.

I think we should do the same. We are a much smaller group - but with the
increased risk that we come from diverse places.

This is my opinion - Paolo and Raymond what do you think? Should we discuss
this in an ad-hoc PSC meeting?

Greetings,
Andreas

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 23:07, Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are in a delicate phase of the expansion of the virus, where it's not
> clear yet if the actions to prevent diffusion are effective or not.
>
> Actually I'm 50% to travel to den-bosch or to remain at home
> avoiding risks for my parents. I'm evaluating basing on the evolution of
> the infection.
>
> a friend (Scientist and worker in an hospital) suggest to remain at home
> for social responsibility to reduce the opportunity to spread the virus.
> Social responsibility because 50% of the infected have to be hospitalised
> and 10% in reanimation... Italy, for example, have only 4000 reanimation
> places that have to be shared with "normal" cases.
>
> My proposal would be to postpone at least 1 month later.
>
> Luigi Pirelli

> * LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
> * Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
> * GitHub: https://github.com/luipir