[Qgis-psc] Solving the backport issues

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 11:40:58 PDT 2020

Dear PSC,

Our former and beloved backport bot has left the place to a new bot based
on github actions which is not performing well.

I had some thoughts about this and I would propose to use another tool more
widely used and better maintained  (https://github.com/sqren/backport or
https://github.com/chainer/backport).

I think I can handle this within a day and I am therefore proposing to do
this.

Besides, the question of the maintenance (being discussed on another
thread) is very relevant here. The question of the maintenance of these
bots (docs + backport) shall be discussed.
I see two ways of handling this:
- either propose a 1 day per year maintenance effort
- charge per hours, similarly to bugfixing.

For the PyQGIS API docs, we went the first way with 3 days/year.
Going the second approach might be a bit more flexible and allow other devs
to jump in.

So, the 2 questions:
1) spending a day to bring a working backport bot
2) how to proceed for maintenance

Best wishes,
Denis