[Qgis-psc] PSC Meeting March

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 04:24:18 PDT 2020

Hi Andreas,

In terms of opposition to QGIS for iOS, there are 2 issues to address:
1- Presence of any QGIS derived app on App Store, according to some black
and white interpretation of GPL, this might not be allowed. There has been
no prior cases, so it is up to the PSC to gauge the risk and come up with a
decision. In other similar situations, the issue was resolved by simply, an
addendum to the license to exempt the App Store by the project and
developers, so long as the derived apps are still compatible with the main
license.

2- QGIS for iOS: we have spent weeks to port QGIS and subsequently Input to
iOS platform. There is no restrictions for us and even for QGIS project to
acknowledge the fact that QGIS/Input can be installed on iOS platform. The
sticking point is App Store and there are other methods of installing apps
on iOS platform, but it will be an extra burden on users. There is no way,
we are going to throw away our work on the iOS platform and it will be a
loss to QGIS project too,  IMO.

In general, I would like to have a pragmatic solution (see Point 1:
providing an addendum to the GPL) to address the situation. There is also a
wider question for the PSC: to ensure QGIS remains relevant and the
licensing terms do not limit the project for future adaptation. For
example, with the new developments in Qt and WebAssembly, one can envisage
a day when QGIS can be run in a web browser. Is the licensing terms
sufficient enough to address future platforms/use-cases?

Kind regards
Saber

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk