[Qgis-psc] PSC Meeting March

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 06:08:58 PDT 2020

Hi Jurgen,

Indeed, the last time the same subject came up, there was a discussion
around practicality of getting all the developers' consent with the
proposed changes to the licenses.

In terms of the App Store, they do not have restrictions of distributing
GPLed software and there are already a number of GPLed apps there. See for
example
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/subsurface-mobile/id1093217161
https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/master/LICENSE

Kind regards
Saber

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 12:23, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Saber,
>
> On Sun, 15. Mar 2020 at 11:24:18 +0000, Saber Razmjooei wrote:
> > In terms of opposition to QGIS for iOS, there are 2 issues to address:
> > 1- Presence of any QGIS derived app on App Store, according to some black
> > and white interpretation of GPL, this might not be allowed. There has
> been
> > no prior cases, so it is up to the PSC to gauge the risk and come up
> with a
> > decision. In other similar situations, the issue was resolved by simply,
> an
> > addendum to the license to exempt the App Store by the project and
> > developers, so long as the derived apps are still compatible with the
> main
> > license.
>
> I don't think we can - practically - change the licences, because it needs
> consent of all contributors.  I believe the only other occasion was Qt and
> that
> was very early on and a prerequisite to starting distribution of QGIS at
> all
> and there were very few contributors back then - maybe just Gary.
>
> But isn't it Apple that restricts the distribution of GPL'd software
> anyway and
> not our license?
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden
> https://www.norbit.de
> QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
+44 (0)7568 129733