[Qgis-psc] [VOTE] Re: AGM voting: invalid votes

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Sun May 3 03:54:31 PDT 2020

hi all

On Sun, 3 May 2020, 08:03 Tim Sutton, <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:

> Hi
>

> On 3 May 2020, at 00:19, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> I was always under the assumption the votes are anonymous and IMO it
> should stay that way.    I feel like any votes for this kind of thing
> (positions of power etc) should always be anonymous to avoid 1) hurt
> feeling "I thought they liked me why didn't they vote for me" 2) people
> questioning other people's votes after the fact e.g bullying 3) if just
> feels off to me for this kind of thing.
>
> It's like when we vote here in Australia. We get marked off that we have
> voted before we vote and then we vote in a seperate section with no
> connection to name.  I know that doing this non electronically allows for
> this flow better, but I think we should look for options to allow that kind
> of thing.
>
> I know we are doing the best we can for now but if double votes and/or
> being voted for the different positions is a issue I think we should
> address that first before dumping lists of names and who voted for who.
>

> Right - those have already been addressed: Sending ‘revise your vote’
> requests to those who didn’t follow the process well, removing invalid
> votes.

indeed and all voters have fixed their issue

> Can I suggest rather than discussing this any further here, and before
> carrying out any PSC vote on new procedures, we carry out a post election
> survey inviting comments and proposals on how to improve the process. There
> are obviously a range of different opinions and sentiments at play here and
> I don’t think we can constructively address these in the middle of the
> ongoing voting process. Our current system is the result of iterative
> improvements to the election process that various people proposed over the
> years and while it may not be the epitome of voting systems, I think it is
> fair and honestly reflects the desires of the community.

what we for sure could make is to show the detailed votes without the voter
name and email. but as you say, we've a meeting Tuesday so let's discuss
then.

Later we can also ask the members to cast a vote on this for future agm.

> If anyone has doubts about how their vote has been cast or what they voted
> on, they can ask Marco to generate them a link that will let them review
> their vote.

we could also go a step further and individually send each of the voters an
automated link to their votes so they can see what they casted.

as a summary of the issues we are talking about, we had
- 3 voters that double voted for Andreas
- 2 persons from a user group that voted and were not voting members (they
had received the voting link for reviewing what was to be voted within the
user group)

cheers Marco