[Qgis-psc] Voting for grants

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri May 29 10:14:04 PDT 2020

On vendredi 29 mai 2020 17:46:15 CEST Saber Razmjooei wrote:
> Dear PSC,
>
> Are there any criteria in-place when voting for grants? I suggest to have a
> similar approach Marco recommended for handling votes for core members.
> Specifically, to keep the voting fair and unbiased, it will be good for
> members of the same organization to abstain from voting for their
> colleagues' proposal.

And what about for people with voting rights having themselves submitted one or several
proposals: should they refrain from voting at all ? or shouldn't they be able to vote for their
own proposals ?

If I try to find an equivalent outside of QGIS context, here in France we have very small
villages (several tens of people at most), and there are still  elections to elect the municipal
council: nothing prevent the candidates from voting for themselves and their co-listers.
Actually, if they didn't, there would be very few votes!

The only solution to limit bias would be to extend significantly the size of the voting body, so
that people voting for their own proposal or their colleagues' has no significant impact.

Actually, preventing people from an organization to vote for their colleagues' proposal could
introduce bias. If that proposal is "in a objective way" a good one, not being able to vote for it
and being obliged to select "inferior" proposals could cause a undesired bias in the results,
given the modest size of the voting body.

I'd say keep the rules simple and trust people good judgmenent.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com