[Qgis-psc] QGIS-Hub proposal

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Oct 19 02:35:13 PDT 2020

Hi Klas

I just want to follow up a little on this thread and introduce two of our
team members.

Sumandari is a new recruit at Kartoza and I have tasked her, as part of her
onramping process, to implement a clone of your style repo at
http://qgis-hub.fast-page.org on plugins.qgis.org (Kartoza will fund this).
We would also like to lift your styling / theming and transplant it onto
plugins.qgis.org to modernise the site a little bit. I am hoping you can
help us here with inputs on the styling front as Sumandari is not a
designer. Could you also share the link to GitHub etc. for your code?

Also I want  to introduce Samweli to you. Samweli is our C++ developer. He
recently worked with Nyall to implement the temporal support in QGIS. I
have asked Samweli to do an implementation of the style repo client within
the style manager in QGIS so that we can ultimately directly fetch and
publish styles from within QGIS. We plan to do this as a crowdfunded task,
and so he will first share only a feature set plan and probably QEP we
gather funding to pay for his time.

It would be great to have your inputs along the way so that we land up with
something beautiful and functional!

In terms of the larger vision of creating a central hub for QGIS for
sharing all resources etc. I think we are all on board with that. Marco has
proposed some separation of our web properties into the 'marketing part'
(chiefly qgis.org) and the hub which would include the work proposed above
and other assets like plugins.qgis.org, docs, api docs etc. Everything that
forms a useful resource for people using QGIS. We can help with this but it
is more of a medium term exercise and for now we want to focus on getting
the style hub going.

Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net