[Qgis-psc] final countdown on the web site

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Oct 23 05:51:40 PDT 2020

Hi Denis,

On Fri, 23. Oct 2020 at 13:24:45 +0200, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> 1 the countdown is in minutes (not in days),

On release day counting in days doesn't make much sense - and wouldn't help to
tell wether 12 UTC is 13 or 14 o'clock either - which it does now.

> I am expecting something to change when it reaches 0 (i.e. the download link to appear*)

It turned into "3.16 in packaging since 2020-10-23 12:00:00 UTC".
There's no fixed ETA for the packages to count down to.

> 2. the fact that it is frozen is a dev thing and has no reason to be on the
>    front page
> 4. the text is barely readable (small)

It just filling a little bit of otherwise white void with useful information
for some.  On the main page cecause that's very easy to find, but small because
it's only useful for some.

I'll admit that it very simple and not a piece of art anytime.

> 3. the time until packaging is actually the same as the time until next point
>    release

Because we decided to not announce the release when it happens, but once
packages are available.  That's also why it says "in packaging" and "released".
I sticked with "next release" though - and didn't come up with an less awkward
version of "next date to enter packaging".

Once the packaging is done, the version numbers are updated and the countdown
output changes from the previously upcoming release to the next.

> A dev is more likely to look at the roadmap.

Why would he?  The information on the front page is IMHO much easier to find.
The roadmap is a bunch of clicks or a search away - if you don't have a
bookmark (which I still don't have).

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode