[Qgis-psc] QGIS bug-fixing efforts - work on upstream libraries (specifically GDAL)

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 08:12:06 PDT 2020

Hi PSC,

I'd like to ask for permission that myself could work on GDAL
enhancements on behalf of the QGIS bug fixing effort, in a similar
manner like other developers often fix issues in GDAL/OGR/GEOS when
fixing issues in QGIS.

Specifically, while working on
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/38092 I've added the possibility
to interrupt/abort running queries through the QGIS connection API
(which is part of the ongoing effort to bury DB-Manager in favor of a
core C++ implementation).

In order for this to fully work, the data providers need to support
the cancellation of a running SQL query but GDAL does not currently
support this feature which is necessary for both GPKG and SPATIALITE
QGIS data providers.

I've spoken to Even who is not available at the moment but is happy to
help me polishing the feature if I take care of the implementation in
GDAL.

So I'm asking for the possibility to use a few hours from the QGIS bug
fixing to make this GDAL enhancement for GPKG and SPATIALITE drivers.

Alessandro

--
Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net