[Qgis-psc] Question on QGIS Accessibility issues

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Fri May 14 04:43:33 PDT 2021

Good morning, afternoon, etc

I've been teaching QGIS certified classes virtually this year (thanks to
the pandemic) which has allowed a wide range of people to take the
classes. The intro class is always a lively discussion of QGIS things:
tools, community, and "how does it work". I've cc'd Simon on this as he
brought up a question for which I haven't a good answer - which after
thinking about it and talking to Nyall I'm emailing the PSC.

During the discussion on the QGIS Interface Simon asked "Are there
options with QGIS to help people with accessibility/mobility issues?".
In my mapping life this has come up a few times but not lately. Simon
uses CAD software (and other software) that collects the last few
commands into a "right click" (Context menu) and allows for easier
navigation. For a large number of QGIS Users, navigating the interface
isn't that big of an issue. I do it daily without thinking. For Simon
this is a challenge - Navigating the interface is a bit more difficult
due to mobility issues. He thoroughly enjoyed the QGIS and the class and
hopefully will become a long time user.

I guess the question is - are there any groups, persons, etc that do
work on the QGIS interface for persons that have accessibility issues?
As I said for me moving from processing tools to project properties to
layer properties isn't a problem - but for some it is. By asking I'm
volunteering and I will do what I can to help - but I figure this is as
good of a place to start as any.

Thanks for your time. I've cc'd Simon on this but he is not subscribed
to the PSC list (I wasn't until this morning) but he is very willing to
answer questions and help also.

Randy

--
Randal Hale