[Qgis-psc] QGIS LTR releases -- is it time to pull the plug?

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 02:03:27 PST 2021

Hello all,

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 9:09 PM Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org> wrote:

> - strictly separate the build systems and libraries of LTR and regular
> releases. Parts of the problem stem from the fact that during the lifetime
> of an LTR underlying libraries are updated. Ideally, the libraries of the
> LT releases only receive bug fixes, but no new features
> - put more resources into manual testing
> - put more resources into packaging in general
> - let every release be checked manually by a couple of dedicates power
> users (at least the LTR ones) before it goes out to the public
>
> I know - all of these need personal/financial resources.
>
> Andreas

Since resources are limited, another thing we may consider is to reduce the
number of releases per year.
If on top of that, we could add a packaging freeze period, it would be
possible to run installers' manual tests before they are released to the
general public.

Here are some test plans we prepared for QEP 180:

https://qgis.tenant.kiwitcms.org/plan/search/

These are only examples, we can think about more tests, especially things
that can't be caught by CI.

Best regards,

Alexandre Neto