[Qgis-psc] Discussing LTR Update frequency

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Nov 20 00:55:26 PST 2021

Dear PSC colleagues and core devs,

We have discussed to reduce the update frequency of the LTR release at
the last meeting. I think everybody sort of agreed to reduce the nr of
releases in the light of starting manual testing prior to release.

Marco announced that on a mail to the QGIS users mailing list:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2021-November/050232.html

BUT: i don't remember that we came to a final decision/conclusion on how
often to really release. I have doubts that the fixed quarterly releases
are a good idea, because of the following:

- in the first few months of the lifetime of an LTR there are typically
way more issues discovered than later. I think that the beginning of an
LTR we need a denser release schedule than just quarterly

- we have a quarantine rule that backports that go into the regular
release can only go into the LTR release after one month of quarantine
in the regular release. This can further delay important backports in
the light of only releasing LTR updates quarterly.

I would like to discuss whether we could have some schedule that starts
a bit denser at the beginning and then thins out later in the lifetime
of an LTR.

E.g. something like:

LTR-Release:and releases 1, 2, 4,6,9,12 months after the release.

I know this is a bit more complicated to handle, but I believe it ŵould
be more useful for the users.

What do you think?