[Qgis-psc] [QGIS-Developer] Cleaning up the QGIS Developers/QGIS Community groups

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 00:46:25 PDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:55 AM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi lists,
>
> Given that we've recently granted membership to the github QGIS
> Developers group to a bunch of new members, I think it's timely that
> we also take the opportunity to clean up the membership and drop some
> members.
>
> What I specifically mean here is that we should (hopefully
> temporarily!!) remove developers/contributors from the groups if they
> haven't been active in the project for say, the last 24 months. While
> it's obviously sad to see once regular contributors move on, it's a
> perfectly natural thing as people's work/life situations evolve and
> change.
>
> Leaving these users with access to the repos is ultimately a security
> risk to QGIS. I'm concerned that there's github accounts with
> absolutely no Github activity at all in recent years who still have
> direct commit access to the QGIS repository (e.g.
> https://github.com/homann ).
>
> So I would propose that we set some policy regarding "temporary
> hiatus/removal" from the QGIS Developers/QGIS Community groups for
> users who aren't currently active in the project. Something like "if
> the user shows no activity on the QGIS repositories for 24 months,
> then that user will be temporarily removed from the security groups.
> The user is still considered a core contributor/community member, and
> can have these access rights revived at any time via emailing the QGIS
> PSC".
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Nyall

Hi Nyall,

To summarize:

1. QGIS core contributor status is for life
2. github core committer rights will be revoked after 24 months of
inactivity
3. github core committer rights will be given back if the contributor
restarts to contribute

This makes total sense to me, we discussed this briefly in the PSC but we
didn't decide anything yet.

We can put it in the agenda for the following meeting but I think that if
there are no objections from the qgis-dev ML I guess it will be approved
right away.

Kind regards.

--
Alessandro Pasotti