[Qgis-psc] qgis.org was redirecting to /ru/site/ temporarily

Johannes Kröger (WhereGroup) johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Fri Nov 25 12:10:16 PST 2022

Hey you lovely people,

this might have been a temporary configuration mistake or anything but
in the current climate one has to assume a compromise/attack:

Some minutes ago I was visiting qgis.org in my browser and the website
was in cyrillic. I noticed the URL was https://qgis.org/ru/site/

My requests came from a German IP and my browser locale should be set to
something English so this was surprising and had never happened before.
I am fairly sure that my system was not compromised.

I checked with curl -I and I was being redirected to that language. A
few moments later I checked again and it was back to /en/

Here are my curl responses with the Cloudflare stuff if it helps
pinpointing the moment or processes involved:
https://pastebin.com/raw/36HwcxKW

Not sure if this is the right mailing list but I didn't want to spread
FUD on -user and no one was on IRC so this seemed like the best choice.
Please forward it to people who can check the server(s) if they aren't
reading here. Thanks!

Cheers, Hannes