[Qgis-psc] European CRA and its implications

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Jul 19 00:45:28 PDT 2023

Hi PSC,

Should you not be aware already, there is an existential and urgent risk on the OpenSource ecosystem coming from the European commission, through the CRA text :

https://eclipse-foundation.blog/2023/02/23/cyber-resilience-act-good-intentions-and-unintended-consequences/

Mozilla has already taken action, and publicly reacted also. So did a few other opensource organizations.

Given the strong impact it may have on the OpenSource world, I think QGIS.org should :
- make a public announcement / blog article / press release
- directly contact MEPs to communicate about the problems raised by the current version of the text
- coordinate with other OpenSource organization for actions
- optionnaly, make some stronger actions ( e.g. close QGIS downloads as filezilla does, display a message on the web site, display a message on QGIS start window...)

The ITRE commission is supposed to meet today, this is therefore an urgent matter. The longer we wait, the more difficult it will be to reestablish the text to an acceptable version.

Best regards,

Vincent