[Qgis-psc] Request for review before new release is cut

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Jun 21 02:14:59 PDT 2024

Hi Sandro,

On Fri, 21. Jun 2024 at 10:22:14 +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> It's packaging time today but I still have 5 pull requests
> pending approval reviews:
>
>   https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pulls/strk

As far as I can tell none of those are fixes for user facing bugs.

> This mail is to present two requests:
>
>   1. To the release manager:
>      Can to the release be postponed to give some
>      time to reviewers to approve my pending PRs ?

We release what's ready when it's time - unless something critical is spotted.
I'd say those could well be merged and backported after the release.

>   2. The the PSC:
>      Can the policy be reviewed once again to find a
>      better solution to this long-standing problem of
>      growing PR queue (not being a bot that closes
>      them after a while) ?

Was that ever really discussed?   AFAIK it was put in place and nobody really
objected, because it is generally a good thing.

But at least my contributions have gone down a lot by the introduction of these
hurdles (ie. mandatory PRs, delays by CI tests and reviews and even - or mainly? -
the improved stability of master, because stuff now breaks in PRs and doesn't
hit the nightlies of master, where I'd fix them) as it multiplies the effort
required for each of them (many mostly small ones).

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31