[QGIS-trac] [Quantum GIS] #2456: Installation of Quantum GIS is impossible, when folder has name "Program Files"

Quantum GIS qgis at qgis.org
Sat Feb 20 20:47:03 EST 2010

#2456: Installation of Quantum GIS is impossible, when folder has name "Program
Files"
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
   Reporter:  Ghuoargh                          |              Owner:  nobody
       Type:  bug                               |             Status:  new
   Platform:  Windows                           |           Must_fix:  No
Status_info:  0                                 |
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 When trying to install - under Windows Vista - Quantum GIS Enceladus into
 the folder "Program Files" (which is the default name), the files to be
 installed were "skipped" instead of being installed, and nothing (!) of
 the program was installed, yet, a message "Quantum GIS has been installed
 on your computer." or the like appeared. The same problem also occured,
 when trying to install OSGeo4W and/or GRASS, probably the latter. In one
 of these both cases, probably GRASS, I was told, that the path should not
 contain folders with spaces in their name, which was the case with the
 standard Windows folder "Program Files". Thus, I created a new folder
 "{Programme}", and installing into this folder (instead of into "Program
 Files") worked with Quantum GIS and GRASS. ...

 By the way, I cannot launch GRASS: The simple "GRASS" or so option does
 not work (I, however, do not remember the words of the error message), and
 when using "GRASS with MSYS" or so, a window appears, where I are prompted
 to choose a folder and a location, which is possible, but I then cannot
 choose or create a map..., and neither press the button "Start Grass" or
 the like, for the letters on the respective buttons remain gray, and the
 buttons cannot be clicked ...

 Finally, by the way, the installation of the newest version of OSGeo4W
 apparently has not worked, for unknown reason, but I currently do not
 really need it, so I have not expended much efforts on this issue ...

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/2456>
Quantum GIS <http://qgis.org>