[QGIS-trac] Re: [Quantum GIS] #3250: Vector layers printed/exported as rasters, even when "Print as Raster" is unchecked

Quantum GIS qgis at qgis.org
Tue May 3 13:12:57 EDT 2011

#3250: Vector layers printed/exported as rasters, even when "Print as Raster" is
unchecked
--------------------------------------------------+-------------------------
   Reporter:  Alister                             |              Owner:  nobody
       Type:  bug                                 |             Status:  new
   Platform:  Windows                             |           Must_fix:  No
Status_info:  0                                   |
--------------------------------------------------+-------------------------

Comment(by wildintellect):

 Replying to [comment:6 Alister]:
 > > without pdf as vector
 > Have you tried printing to a virtual pdf "printer"?  That produces
 vector output for me now...

 I will double check but the last time I did so to PDF Creator it was still
 rasterized.

 > > svg that clips to extent and preserves scale
 >
 > Scale should be preserved now - see #3224
 >
 > Is clip-to-extent necessary simply to minimise file size?  Personally
 I'm quite happy now with exporting to svg and then printing the svg to
 PDF.  But of course it would be much better not having to do a two-step
 process...

 1. it's a lot of work to manually hide lines that cross the neatline of
 the map (maps are not always full page)
 2. not necessarily file size but the related number of vectors/nodes has a
 huge impact on the behavior and stability of Inkscape and Illustrator. We
 found that using Natural Earth data if you only wanted to export 1-3
 countries as part of your map SVG would leave you with 90% of the world as
 extra data. One could clip everything in QGIS before export but that seems
 to defeat the purpose of the map composer (however it is a suggested
 workaround.

 I need to go back and check more about Labelling since we also need labels
 to come out as Text objects in both SVG and PDF unless a user explicity
 chooses to convert text to paths. Either way it should never be
 rasterized.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/3250#comment:11>
Quantum GIS <http://qgis.org>