[Qgis-us-user] Shape File in Wrong Location

Tom Holz tlholz at me.com
Thu Aug 23 18:42:59 PDT 2018

I’m new to QGIS, apologies if this posted is incorrectly.

I’m trying to map the water system of my community. They had an engineer provide an AutoCAD drawing several years back that have a lot of the system intact, but along with a lot of other info I don’t need. I imported the whole thing into QGIS and exported various layers I need as shapefiles. I then added the shapefiles to a QGIS project that includes an OpenStreetMap layer. Nothing showed when zoomed in to the community, so I “zoomed” out and out and finally found found the shapefiles rendered completely outside the OpenStreetMap layer (i.e. its a little rectangle) and to the right (east) also about 4-5 times the size of the entire OpenStreetMap layer showing the whole world.

I’ve researched this all day trying to find what I did wrong and how to correct with no joy. I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to address. I’m bull headed, but at the point of throwing up my hands and walking away. Thanks for any suggestions.

TomH