[Qgis-us-user] Problems creating layers

John Antkowiak john_antkowiak at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 22:14:35 PDT 2018

Hi. I've been trying unsuccessfully to create my own layers in QGIS. I'm a new user and I just can't figure it out. (I know how it's SUPPOSED to work...) I don't know if this is a question of user permissions where whatever database it's trying to open lives (even though it's all on my hard drive). Ten years ago I could do this in my sleep with ArcMap... I must be forgetting something very basic here...
(And this begs the question, "What database is it trying to open? Can't I even create a new database and write to that one?")
All I've done is open a project that I created by loading a shapefile, and add a field to one of the shapefile tables. I need to be ale to filter the layer in order to show only certain values in that field. I need to be able to save that information in the project file. I can't "Create a Layer." I can't "Export to a layer." I can't "Clip a layer." The error messages all say something like this one:
"Export to vector file failed.Error: Creation of data source failed (OGR error: sqlite3_open(NC GeoRegions.gpkg) failed: unable to open database file)"
No one has responded to my pleas for help, although every other request generates responses.
Could someone please weigh in? You were all newbies once too...
Thanks so much. Have a great day  : )
John A,