[Qgis-us-user] System Requirements

Kurt Menke kurt at birdseyeviewgis.com
Fri Jun 28 12:36:40 PDT 2019

Hi Wesley Paul!
There are no published official minimum hardware specs for QGIS.
I believe the install takes up around 2Gb on Windows. Beyond that it
depends on what you will be using it for and how much space you need
locally for data. Considerations would include how large and complex your
datasets are and what you need to do with them.

It is 64 bit so it will take advantage of all your RAM. It will run on
pretty much anything, it's just a matter of how fast you need it to be.
I've seen it run pretty well on older laptops.

I would encourage you to get a machine with an SSD for a hard drive and as
much RAM as you have in your budget. 16Gb  of RAM is generally a good idea.
If you are working on animations or 3D think about the video card and
monitor.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 with an SSD and 16 Gb of RAM and QGIS flies on
it.

Hope this helps.

Kurt

Kurt Menke