[Qgis-user] Developing QGIS plugins on Windows

René Estrella rene.estrellam at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 24 07:32:31 PDT 2008

Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> René Estrella ha scritto:
>
>> I am interested in developing a QGIS plugin using C++ and for the Windows
>> platform.  I read some documentation in the QGIS website (including the
>> blog
>> and wiki) and found information that seems applicable only in Unix-like
>> OSs.
>> Is there any documentation in the web where I can learn from how to
>> develop
>> a plugin for the Windows version of QGIS?  Or can you give me an advice
>> start learning about plugin development on Windows?
>
> What are the reasons to write a C++ plugin instead of a python one?
> All the best.
> pc
> --
> Paolo Cavallini, see: http://www.faunalia.it/pc
> Noi ci troviamo con parecchie difficoltà con NGI http://www.ngi.it/

Hello Paolo, thanks for your interest.  The plugin I'm thinking of is an
application that deals with large amounts of data, so I thought in using C++
because I suppose C++ programs run faster than Python ones (is this right?),
which is a desirable feature in this type of applications.  Anyway, I can't
proof this at this time.  Also, I have a little more knowledge and
experience on C++ programming.  Finally, I have a question: Is the complete
QGIS API available for developers of Python plugins (as is the case for C++
plugins) or is there any restriction in the API for Python plugins?  I mean,
the QGIS API that developers of QGIS plugins can use in the development
process is the same API that is used by developers of C++ plugins, or it is
a restricted or limited version of it?

Regards.