[Qgis-user] Polygon from text coordinates

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Aug 5 13:57:56 PDT 2008

Hi

> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 12:22 +0200, Agustin Lobo wrote:
>> Tim,
>>
>> what could I read in order to "know a little sql"?

Please bear in mind my reply was a kludge to help you solve an
immediate issue and is definately 'way off the map' in terms of what
we would expect a normal QGIS user to be doing.

>> I think that we should make a list of elementary
>> readings and tutorials entitled "From elementary to advanced QGIS user:
>> material for the initial steps".
>>
>> In general, the most prominent advantage
>> of QGIS comes when the user becomes able of developing his/her
>> own tools with PostGIS, sql, python and the R interface.
>> Perhaps we can select (or even write) basic material on these
>> tools thinking on the QGIS user (that is, someone who feels
>> comfortable with the QGIS menu but needs to develop specific
>> tools). I understand that the priority now is writing guides
>> and help pages for newcomers, but compiling a list such as the one
>> I mention would not take a long time and could be very useful
>> for people with some experience.

I think the community team folks may have already compiled such a list
- it would be good to check with them. If I recall it was a list of
learning resources centered around QGIS. Yes I and others plan to
write more tutorial type content on programming with the QGIS api.
Myself and Martin and others already written several tutorlals on
blog.qgis.org though they tend to get out of date as we advance the
code base. For this reason I stopped until QGIS 1.0.0 comes out with
its attendant stable api.

>> Could I open this list in the wiki?

Please feel free - and perhaps discuss with the community team how
this may be linked in to the general plans they have.

Best regards

Tim