[Qgis-user] After fresh compilation under Ubuntu Hardy error "Couldn't load PyQGIS"

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Aug 8 12:40:44 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 12:22 -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> > Dear list(s), I face this "strange" error message. I say strange because
> > the module "qgis.core" exists and QGIS runs properly, yet without python
> > support. I follow always the same configuration/compilation/installation
> > procedure. Any ideas?

[...]
> I know there where some changes recently and the python support is
> optional now. I'm not sure how to do it when compiling from source but try a
> sudo apt-get install python-qgis
>
> Alex

Hi Alex and thank you for your suggestion!

How can I avoid installing libgdal and force only python-qgis to be
installed? I know that this can be done and I am searching it. But, will
it be ok to do so? I have gdal_stable from source and don't want the
ubuntu-libgdal package (?).

Greetings, Nikos