[Qgis-user] Postgis, Qgis, uDig?

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Thu Aug 14 02:38:23 PDT 2008

Agustin Lobo pisze:

> Do I need (or is it convenient) uDig to use PostGis or
> QGIS is enough (or even better) as a front end for PostGis?

Last time (months ago) I tried uDIG it was slower rendering PostGIS data
and raster backgrounds than QGIS.

As to editing, QGIS has a pretty decent toolset. Missing is undo
function :( though. Jürgen Fischer has been working on a set of great
enhacements to digitizer [1], but I don't know if he is planning to
address this (CCing him). Those are going to be included in 1.0, if I'm
correct.

An easy way to create a new PostGIS layer is missing. I have
written a plugin [2] when I needed that functionality badly, and it does
it's job (tested on several users, never had an error), but it could use
some polishing by a better programmer and then replace the current
(extreme) prototype plugin in QGIS repo. Anybody willing? I'd be glad to
assist as I can.

Ragading table management, missing is "rename column" function and the
"create column" provides only a limited set of PostgreSQL supported
datatypes. But I personaly can live with that.

[1]http://www.nabble.com/vector-layer-updates-heads-up-tp18944120p18944120.html
[2]http://www.sieczka.org/prog/qgis/create_postgis_layer.zip

Maciek

--